Walking Through Time is a mobile phone application that overlays historical maps on Google Maps so that you can view your current location as it was in the past. The application allows users to follow historical maps and to tag and attach links to the map that offer historical and contextual information.
The application is a project by Edinburgh College of Art and Edinburgh University. So far they have developed a working prototype and have open sourced the code.
Via: Digital Urban
- David Rumsey Google Map Collection - collection of historical maps
- Declassified Military Aerial Images Map - aerial photographs from the past
- Then & Now - historical photographs with Street View
- LookBackMaps - historical photographs & Street View
- Utrecht van Boven - historical photos of Utrecht on a Google Map
- Sydney Sidetracks - a map of audio, video and photographic records of Sydney's past
- HistoGrafica - historical photographs on Google Maps
- Virtual Time Travel - archive film of locations. One of my own old mashups. Some of the videos may now have been removed from YouTube but there are still enough old films here to make it worth a visit.